“Getting the best of both worlds”- That’s what Hybrid SharePoint lets you do. It gives you the capability of both SharePoint On-Premises and SharePoint online. This helps you use the solution based on the specific requirements of your company. Since it integrates the best of both environments following are the key enablers:
- Search the content in both on-premises and online at once.
- Use online to access on-premises corporate data and also publish the on-premises data to the cloud when required.
- Keep your sensitive data on- premises and migrate less sensitive data on to the cloud.
- Interact with Line of business systems for business process and information.
So sitting on the fence you can ask these critical business questions to check if Hybrid SharePoint is suitable for you.
- Is there clarity on what SharePoint’s use would be for your company.
- Does your company already use cloud environment or would you like to explore cloud to understand what works best for you.
- What percent of your users would needs access to content in both On-Premises and Cloud.
- Do you have data (sensitive) that cannot be stored on cloud due to security or regulatory reasons.
- Does your business generate data that may be too expensive to be stored on cloud.
- What is your current focus and investments on the existing On-Premises share point.
Once you answer these questions you will realise why and how to move to the HybridShare point. it can either be quick, leveraging the extended functionalities available or a gradual approach depending on what is best suited to your business and customers.
How to align Hybrid SharePoint capability to for you company.
Your business requirements and goals should become the basis of this – in alignment with your technical and architectural considerations. While a purely cloud-based SharePoint environment may deliver the features you need, a hybrid environment will preserve the value of the investment you have made on the on-premises SharePoint while allowing you to transition on to the cloud. However you should ensure that Hybrid SharePoint does not introduce new complexities into the company. Given below are some scenarios and how it works in a Hybrid SharePoint solution some are seamless and others require considerations.
- If you require to extensively search content stored in both On-Premise and Cloud:
- In Hybrid environment, it is not possible to search a single index and return content from both environments ranked together on the same results page. So users will have to search both environments to locate the data.
- Network performance issues in the On-Premise environment due to a geographically distributed workforce:
- A Hybrid environment allows your users to locate the office environment in a Microsoft data centre closer to his location and hence improve the performance significantly.
- Existing share point investments to leverage.
- You can continue to extract the benefits from the customization investments which you have made, while you migrate eligible features into the cloud. And since this can work in tandem, you can consider re-architecting your solution for better productivity.
- Substantial compliance and regulatory requirements.
- Hybrid environment allows you to store the sensitive content (as per regulations) in On-Premise environment, and move the less sensitive content on the cloud. However if you are using third-party system to manage access rights to content it will not work in cloud environment. Also, a centralised system of management of records is not possible.
- If you are a heavy user of features like Performance point, advance business intelligence or records centre.
- Hybrid environment allows you to use On-Premise features for the existing requirements and use cloud environment for content where these features are not required.
To take away, SharePoint Hybrid is about the best of both On-Cloud and On-Premises environment, a diligent strategy to exploit this Hybrid environment can result in substantial improvements in productivity and cost savings.