We all are aware of the fact that SharePoint is used for creating intranets. It incorporates many supportive features such as collaboration, CMS, news, employee registration, personalization, search, journals etc.
Some Microsoft SharePoint intranets took the features to next level by— enriched features that support the business and connect with employees, supported by a smart search, and with page designs that influence employees to run through all the content.
Extraordinary SharePoint Design
Aufait uses SharePoint’s out-of-box offerings as an edge, not an end, and modify the platform depending upon the nature of the organization. A good intranet’s home page alone incorporates many helpful properties, including:
— Visually appealing design with on brand design.
— Easy navigation by points out every feature of the enterprise by using a smart background color with precise contents.
— Elevated visibility of frequently visited pages, applications, and sites.
— A section with promotion, declarations and other extraordinary stories.
— A wide, fat footer at the bottom that points to the related topics and records that show up in the menu.
— Many supportive content related highlights, for example, project insight to make employees aware of core tasks and objectives.
In case you are working on designing an intranet, Taking advice from a skilled SharePoint intranet team would be a good option.
SharePoint is just the beginning
Installing SharePoint is just the start, to have an extraordinary intranet, you will require UX design and development. In order to build an intranet SharePoint, it requires planning, design, research, and development
Successful intranet providers follow a set of strategies for their SharePoint intranets. Some basic qualities are:
– Business analysis: Consider corporate objectives and how the intranet will help accomplish them and transform these into functional requirements.
– Content migration procedures.
– Administration and content governance strategy.
– Information Architecture (IA) planning, and navigation design.
– UX design and usability research until it functions admirably for employees.
– Advancement, training strategy, and support.
Customized Look– and– Feel Takes Some Work
Experts say it’s important that the intranet has its own particular look and feel and doesn’t look like SharePoint. In order to accomplish this, some employed visual designers on staff, but they all required SharePoint designers to execute their branding.
Some had a less demanding time executing their branding, and others had an exceptionally troublesome time. The enterprises which needed to change the page layout essentially said it took hours to do. For some who had not expected the need to alter the intranet’s visuals, it delayed the project.
Let’s discuss 3 main techniques through which you could make your Intranet homepage more interactive and resourceful.
— A generic intranet homepage
— A 3 column intranet homepage (3 purpose homepage)
— A portal styled (Widgetised) homepage\
Designing Homepages with user-centric features
While evaluating intranet home-pages, simplicity is the key. Intelligent color combination technique will offer an overall feel to the users and eventually increase the interaction.
A classic intranet homepage:
This is a representative of the intranet homepages seen nowadays. Such intranets are composed of static, generic, and centrally operated contents which are not useful nor have any values for their users. Such classic intranet homepages feature:
– Central section overwhelmed by global or team-wide internal communication and a corporate calendar for events.
– Global navigation
– ‘Quick links’ that are generally quick.
– Individual staff registry search.
– The left-hand segment that recreates that global navigation.
– External links which are typically irrelevant to a major audience.
– Enterprise share value ‘ticker’ which few users are keen on working.
– Few banner ads for internal campaigns and activities which appear periodically.
Based on the feedback, some of the main areas where you should concentrate while working on a classic intranet homepage are:
– contents getting outdated
– Broken search
– Locating data
A three column intranet homepage:
In intranet designed with three column layout, each column serves a purpose. The central column includes a scope of collaborative and social apparatuses, including
– An enterprise tool for social collaboration.
– Links to team sites
– Two banner promotions, one supporting the social tool on offer.
The right-column is equipped with transactional capacities with some resourceful functionalities such as:
– Self-services focused on employees
– new-starter introduction
– to do list
– particular arrangements of ‘quick links’ for HR, and ‘Hot debate topics
– a small promotional space
The left column is dedicated to global news, a relevant segment on the home-page. When compared with other sections this news column holds more user interaction as the contents are useful and get updated at regular time intervals.
Widgetised landing pages
Striking with its design, it’s highly tool-centric, transactional, and coordinated with the enterprise’s business systems. Some of the main components of this designs are:
– Real-time data billing
– case management and related details
– A powerful search tool
– recent telephone calls (connected by means of the telephone system)
– CRM, HR and phone directory system access
– News related to the enterprise
One may even call this a ‘dashboard’ instead of an ‘intranet home-page’. Seen from the perspective of using its esteem is clear; the quick access to work system eases the undertaking required to work.
Each widget on the home-page can be erased or limited based on user preferences, with users additionally being urged to submit requests for further widgets, which the intranet group at that point investigate and, if approved, rapidly build.
An intranet’s usefulness is dependable to its employees, there may be corporate requirements to fulfill. If you have a poor SharePoint intranet portal there’s a lot of blame to go around. Consider the above-mentioned facts as these are the success formula to build an intranet best suited for ideal user experience.